Last Updated -
What personal information do we collect?
For customers or potential customers, we may collect and hold your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, forms of identification, bank account details, credit card details, credit history, information on your household’s energy usage (including metering data) and any other information you choose to provide. In some cases, we may also collect potentially sensitive information about you, such as whether life support equipment is used at your premises.
If you deal with us in some other capacity (e.g. as the representative of a supplier or other stakeholder), the kinds of personal information we collect and hold will vary according to the circumstances. Generally, we may collect your name, contact details and any other information you choose to provide.
How do we collect personal information?
We may collect personal information in various ways, including directly from you providing your information to us electronically, in writing, via telephone or in person, through our website (including when you submit a contact form), promotions, and in the course of supplying to you. We may also get information on your energy usage from your energy distributor, previous retailer, metering data provider, and the energy market operator. We may also collect information from public sources of information, legally-acquired marketing databases and other third parties, including sales agents, credit reporting bodies and credit providers.
Why do we collect your information?
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act in order to:
- verify your identity;
- keep our records and your contact details up to date;
- provide products and services to you, including energy management tools, and billing and payment facilities;
- provide information to you and respond to your enquiries or complaints;
- provide relevant offers to prospective customers where express or implied consent has been obtained;
- carry out administrative, planning, research and quality control activities, such as developing an understanding of your energy needs in order to improve our services;
- make arrangements with our suppliers and stakeholders;
- conduct appropriate credit checks to decide whether to provide credit to you;
- recover debts owing to us;
- provide safe sites;
- comply with legal and regulatory obligations; and
- carry out activities required or permitted under the law.
For the purposes of the activities above, we might disclose personal information to other bodies, including:
- companies engaged by us to supply products and services;
- energy distributors that manage the physical supply of energy;
- our related companies;
- credit providers and agencies to perform credit-related services and credit checks;
- companies engaged by us to analyse data for research purposes;
- technology service providers that support our office functions, which may be located overseas, including the United States, Ukraine, Singapore and Japan;
- government and regulatory organisations;
- our professional advisors, such as auditors and lawyers; and
- your representatives and anyone else authorised by you.
How do we store your information?
Much of the personal information we hold is secured electronically on computer servers and equipment located in Australia, the United States, Singapore and Japan. For certain purposes, information is also stored in hard copy in our offices.
Controls and procedures have been implemented to protect your personal information from:
- misuse, interference and loss; and
- unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Please use our contact details below to make a request to access your personal information (including credit information).
We will provide access to your personal information, except under certain circumstances permitted by law, e.g. if granting access would mean disclosing information about another party. We will advise you of any reasons that may prevent access in these cases. Reasonable charges may apply to cover the costs of giving you access.
How can you update your information?
Please use our contact details below to correct or update your personal information (including credit information).
Will you receive information on our offers?
You may receive information on products, services and offers (from us or related companies) that we believe may interest you, unless you opt out of receiving this information (see below). You consent to receiving this information via mail, email, telephone, SMS, or other electronic means (e.g. social media) until you opt out of any or all of these channels.
How can you opt out of receiving offers?
At any time, you can opt out of receiving information on our products, services and offers by emailing email@example.com, using the opt out feature in any marketing message, telling us in person or contacting us on our contact details below.
When opting out, please let us know whether you no longer wish to receive offers from all channels or specific channels only (i.e. mail, email, telephone, SMS or inperson marketing) and provide your respective contact details so we can ensure they are removed from the appropriate marketing lists.
Do we record information when you visit our website?
A record of your visit is generated when you visit our website, apart from any personal information submitted, e.g. via a contact form. This record may include:
- date and time of the visit;
- pages accessed and documents downloaded; • links that directed you to our site; and
- server address.
How are cookies used?
What about third party content?
How do we manage credit-related information?
We are a credit provider under the Privacy Act where we provide products and services to you on credit, i.e. you pay after we have provided them to you. The information contained in this section and other parts of this document constitute our credit reporting policy.
When you sign up as a customer, we may collect credit-related information about you (e.g. contact details, credit history) directly or from third parties, such as another credit provider. This information may be used and disclosed in line with Part IIIA of the Privacy Act and the Credit Reporting Code. For example, we may disclose creditrelated information to a credit agency if we decide to do a credit check and assess your credit worthiness. Other purposes for using/disclosing credit-related information include:
- collecting an outstanding debt;
- responding to another energy provider you may become a customer of;
- handling a complaint you either make to us, a regulator or external dispute resolution scheme; and
- fulfilling an obligation required by law.
If you have any concerns or complaints relating to privacy (including credit-related issues), please contact us on our contact details below. We will handle your complaint according to our complaints process available on our website. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (http://www.oaic.gov.au).
Our contact details
Please contact us on the details below if you wish to:
- access or update your personal information;
- make a general enquiry about your privacy (including related credit matters).
Mail: Privacy Officer, Mojo Power, GPO Box 7049, Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: 1300 019 649
Updates to this policy
Did you find this article helpful?