3 ways to save energy this summer!
Last Updated -
Those humid nights have started! By the looks of things, we’re in for another long, hot summer. But your bill might not love summer as much as you do. Here are some tips to help you conserve energy and save money in the beautiful Aussie summer:
COOLING YOUR HOME
- Unless it’s a really hot day, use fans rather than air-conditioning to cool your home.
- Close your curtains on sunny days to stop sunlight from heating your home.
- Draught-proofing is a cheap and easy way to conserve energy. It will ensure that cool air stays inside.
- Don’t go lower than 24 or 25 degrees on your air-con. A single degree warmer can reduce cooling costs by 10%.
- Keep an eye on the condition of your air conditioner. Keep it free from dirt and leaves to ensure it runs at maximum efficiency.
- Use zoned cooling or separate air conditioning units to cool only the parts of the home that you’re using.
- When buying an air conditioner, make sure you choose the right size. Too big or too small and it won’t run efficiently.
INSIDE THE HOME
- Save 100% on drying costs, put your clothes on the line rather than using the dryer.
- When washing clothes, use warm or cold water, rather than hot.
- On hot days, avoid using appliances that create heat and humidity.
- If you have a second fridge, just turn it on when you really need that chilled beer and wine.
- Take cooler showers or baths and use the bathroom vent fan to reduce heat and humidity.
OUTSIDE THE HOME
- Consider planting trees or bushes outside to increase shading and reduce the direct sunlight entering your home.
- Install motion sensors on security lights and solar lights for garden pathways.
- Pool owners should reduce daily pumping time – it’s enough to filter the entire water volume once per day.
- Consider whether you need power tools and electric mowers, blowers and trimmers – manual versions are available and save you money, whilst giving you a good workout.
- Use the BBQ. It will save you money and it’s the Aussie way!
At Mojo, we’re not like other retailers. We don’t make money from energy. We charge a monthly subscription fee, called an EnergyPass®, and don’t mark up our expected costs of buying and delivering energy. So we’re on your side when it comes to saving energy and reducing your bill.
With our Plus+ and Premium EnergyPass®, you’ll also get a smart meter which will allow you to track your energy efficiency online in your very own MyMojo portal.
Did you find this article helpful?